Monday, September 13, 2010

Epiphany

As I was getting ready for classes today, I began thinking about everything that I had scheduled to get done. Mostly photo things which led my thought process to tomorrow's dreaded class - practicum and 3 hours of being surrounded by the friendliness people you'll ever meet in this world, not.

I remember the time that I was a history major that only involved in me memorizing the necessary facts that I needed to do well on the essays and the tests. Oh those were the days when my major seemed so 'simple' and only required me studying for something long enough to write it all down.

Now my major is more stress than anything - and not because I have to recall the fall of Rome or the rise of some empire before 1648 but because I have to deal with people who have more opinions than they'll ever need. So I kept thinking about how worried I am to go to class based off I don't want to hear the critiques of my photos because I know it only brings more insults than compliments.

However, with my major - I began piecing together - it is all opinion based and does not deal with memorizing facts, but based on my professor's "critique" and suggestions for what he'd like to see. I think before I was so focused on the grade that I was accumulating for my GPA that I lost my confidence and the ability to hear that people outside my class said I was a good photographer.

This morning, I realized that I needed to ignore the insults my peers and professors give me and only listen to the suggestions of others and take that to better myself as a photographer. I know I am a good photographer and I know that I have improved in my time here - wish my grades would reflect that.

Nonetheless, it is time to stop listening to people who think they're better in the world because of their work. I am not going to make photo my life when there's other things and people's company that I want to enjoy. I am passionate about photography but I am passionate about sports photography and don't look to strive in any other genre of photography. I will make the best of the time that I have left at WKU but my professor's aren't going to affect my mood. They don't have anything left to say that will surprise me. I know they don't like or appreciate my stuff.

Today is the day to turn over a new leaf!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Kristiana said...

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been saying this for, oh I don't know....EVER. About time you listen

September 29, 2010 at 10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home