Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Photography Weekend

Oh what a grand weekend... I don't think I have ever had so much fun and enjoyed taking so many pictures. The weekend was just planned on going to the Indiana Fever game and sitting right behind their bench - excited much, why yes I was.



So we sat down in our seats - very very close to the bench. Dad saw there were athletes signing autographs, we get out of our seats to attempt to obtain a signature but we failed. "Autograph session is over, go back to your seats" the power hungry-yellow shirt old man told me. FINE! After adventurously walking around Conseco, I returned to my seat, picked up my camera ready to take pictures when another power hungry man (this time with a jacket that established his high security authority) came over and told my dad lenses no longer than six inches are allowed in the stands - really? Again, fine! I put it away disappointed and stubbornly refusing to use my "crappy" 70-300 lens because I knew I couldn't produce the same great shots that I could have with my 2.8 lens. My dad did most of the shooting in the first half because I wasn't finished pouting and evil-eying the security man.

I resumed shooting in the second half and figured to have semi-decent shots of some of my favorite players. Sure would have been a lot better had Mr. Security just minded his little corner and left me alone.

http://mnstearman.smugmug.com/WNBA/Fever-vs-Mercury/13355958_YT5Az#971036667_P97Hm



This is my little cousin being a beast on his football team. It was kind of fun just focusing on one player throughout the entire game. A major plus was no one to hinder my talents by taking away my right to use any size lenses...

The only downside was the heat. Miraculously the gray skies cleared up the minute we got to the field and the sun showed how hot and uncomfortable it can make everything and everyone. I felt so bad for all the little kids that had to play in it - they were tough cookies though. Got some decent shots out of the day too.

http://mnstearman.smugmug.com/Sports/Plainfield-Football/13339873_o7NRp#969689409_SiXrg



Ha ha, oh where to begin with reliving this day. My brother had extra tickets that he won from a golf tourney that was 11th row from the end-zone. After walking around the entire downtown of Indianapolis because of Ryan's genius shortcuts and far-away parking we finally arrived at the gates. I was patted down and walked through to the ticket scanner man and let into the stadium when I looked back to the pat-down woman who stopped Kristiana because the 2.8 lens wasn't allowed in the stadium - again no lens longer than six inches was allowed in the stadium - was this a known law in Indiana?! I have never had any trouble whatsoever before! I walked past the ticket scanner man to ask if we could simply agree not to use it like we did at Conseco and the women politely told me no that we would have to take it back to the car. I turn around to go get the keys from my brother but I am stopped and told that I cannot re-enter the stadium once my ticket has been scanned.

You've got to be kidding me. Not only did you just see me and scan my ticket, you never once tried to stop me from walking past and I seriously walked three feet to go talk to the lady. By this time everyone was pissed. And I was completely contempt with going home. But Ryan really wanted me to come especially since I have never been to a game. After agreeing to buy another ticket - I had an ingenious idea to just hide the lens under the separators in my bag.

Why didn't I think of this before you ask? Because all my good ideas come after I do something really stupid.

We walked around to find someone we thought would be a sucker and not ask us to take everything out of our bag. We found one and successfully (after spending $79 on another ticket in section 635) entered the stadium - me for the second time. I had a blast the entire game though. I shot near 600 pictures and overall satisfied with them because of the lens and our seats, I did well - even I will admit that.

Those pictures should be on smugmug soon once I find the time to go through them all. I shall let everyone know once they're posted.

Overall rating of the weekend: 10.8

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home